Flooded Meadows at Old Amersham

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Tawny Owl Diary.

It is maybe ten years since I put up a Chimney style Owl box on a large Oak, in which time it's hosted Squirrels all to often, Jackdaws have shown an interest, as have Stock Doves, until this year, when....
On 23rd March, I see a silhouette gliding through the trees at 8-00am straight towards the nest box tree, I know what it is immediately, but dismiss it thinking it can't be true. As when I checked a couple of weeks back a Squirrel's drey protruded from the box, as I make my way towards the tree Magpies are protesting loudly (a good sign), but they head off, I'm thinking they're following the Owl, but as I approach the box, a couple of Chaffinches are perched on the nearby branch carrying on the Magpies protest & there sticking out from the entrance hole is the tail of the Tawny Owl, at last it has the rightful occupant in residence.
I make regular visits, nothing to report until...
April 
20th. Checked the Owl box at 8-20pm, the male 'hooted' from his day roost nearby; the female went ballistic from inside the box replying with a string of 'kwek' calls.
21st. Plenty of movement from the tail as it stuck out of the entrance to the box, must be a sign that she is uncomfortable in the box with the youngsters growing by the day.
23rd. Have the first sight of the top of her head showing at the entrance hole.













29th. Female calling from box at 6-45pm, sitting higher up at entrance to box.
May
4th. Checked during the afternoon, adult watching me as I approached, then kind of ducked lower down. First time I've been able to see the adults eyes above the box entrance, those chicks must be getting bigger.















5th. Female had left nest by 8-15pm.
7th. Female had left nest by 7-30pm & was out hunting, could hear her softly calling nearby, a few minutes later she returned with prey pursued by the resident Blackbirds.
















8th. Female is dutifully doing the right thing, shielding her young from the damp wet weather, with her back to the prevailing wind as her tail sticks out from the box entrance at 9-00pm, meaning they'll possible get less food tonight with only one adult doing the hunting.
9th. Checked the box at 7-00am, as I could hear the adults soft contact calls & the Blackbirds making a commotion, surprised to find the adult missing, but with the Blackbirds still 'clucking' knew it had to be in the vicinity, it then flew from a tree nearby, was it out hunting late due to a lack of food the previous night? Maybe not as at 6-30pm I could see the crown of an owlets head just above the entrance hole, maybe they're just getting to large to brood anymore.
10th. Female sitting on nest at 7-00am, with her tail & wings protruding from the entrance, with her head at the rear of the box, but looking out, that must be uncomfortable.












11th. No adult in the box at 8-30am, could her her contact calls from nearby, but unable to locate her, later in the day at 4-00pm with the help of a mobbing Magpie I found her roosting up against the trunk of the Hornbeam to the right of the nest tree. At 8pm she is back on the nest actively attending to the young, when I get my first proper view of a chick as it briefly pops it's head from the box.
12th. Adult attending to young again at 8-00am, 9-40am chick is looking out of the box, bobbing it's head, what amazed me is how long & thin it's beak looked. By 5-15pm the adult is back on the nest again, yet at 6-45pm she is roosting in the Hornbeam to the left of the nest tree.
17th. When ever I check the adult is roosting in the Hornbeam to the right of the nest, just follows me as I walk past, today at 1-15pm it was doing a spot of preening.
18th. Pretty sure the nest only contains a single owlet, which now fills the entrance.
20th. Adult has now taken to roosting in an Oak seventy feet away from the nest tree.

















 22nd. It's a brave new world for the Owlet as it spends it's first day out of the nest roosting high up in the nest tree, as the adult sits a few yards away keeping a protective eye on it's offspring. As dusk falls & the world quietens down the youngsters constant begging calls can be heard: psee-ep psee-ep, breaking into a frenzy every time the adult passes over head.













23rd. As I check in the evening the youngster has climbed about six feet further up the tree & can't go any higher, I'm wondering what it's next move will be, I'm soon about to find out...
 ...as it starts to limber up & flex it's wings.


















Then with it's head down, it launches itself sideways & down, plunging about fifteen feet, landing unceremoniously in a heap with wings out stretched on the foliage below, guess that's what you would call it's first attempt at flying. This image is the launch position.














24th. By the evening it's back at the top of the tree again.
26th. This evening it's really branching out & is three trees away, a distance of seventy two feet horizontally. Seems to be growing in confidence & ability.
30th. Female sat softly calling in the tree where I last saw the owlet, she leaves calling as she flies. No sign of youngster.
June

1st. As I approach the nest site at 9-45pm a pair of Robins are alarm calling, I catch sight of the adult silhouetted in the gloom on a bare tree staring at me from about fifty feet away, strange it's never upset the Robins before. Then as I watch the reason for their alarm becomes clear as a Fox passes by only twenty feet from me, this sparks the Owl into a frenzy of 'ke-wick' calls, chasing the Fox away, with this behaviour I assume the Owlet must be nearby, I wait a further fifteen minutes 'til I hear the familiar begging calls. Am unable to see it, but at least know it's still alive. Was getting worried having no sight or sound for the last week.





5th. With the Owlet remaining unseen since the 26th & not becoming vocal 'til 10-00pm I've decided now is the time to leave them to themselves. It's been a pleasure & a privilege to be able to watch them at such close quarters.
Don.

Images Copyright : Don Stone.



No comments:

Post a Comment